Construction is now underway on the Belconnen Bikeway. The new bikeway will deliver a network that makes it easier for people to access the Belconnen Town Centre, providing better links to the surrounding suburbs. It will benefit both commuters and locals who just like to get active.
The 4.7 kilometre bikeway, comprising both shared and separated cycling and pedestrian facilities, will improve accessibility, provide safer and faster commutes and deliver more opportunities for weekend recreation.
It will start on Coulter Drive in Florey and continue along the old busway on Joynton Smith Drive to the Belconnen Town Centre, continuing along Emu Bank through to the University of Canberra to Haydon Drive via College Street.
- 1400 metres of shared path
- 1475 metres of pedestrian only path
- 2141 metres of cyclist only path
- 440 metre on-road cycleway through the old busway on Joynton Smith Drive.
We will also be planting around 200 trees and approximately 4000 shrubs.
Take a look at the final designs.
Belconnen Bikeway from TCCS on Vimeo.
Start date: October 2019
Expected completion date: late 2020
Changed traffic arrangements
The following temporary footpath, road and pedestrian crossing closures will be in place as required as construction is underway.
- Footpath on College Street (northern side) just before Kirinari Street.
- College Street (north) signalised pedestrian crossing will be closed at Kirinari Street.
- Footpath on Emu Bank (northern side) between the signalised pedestrian crossing located on the eastern side of Eastern Valley Way to approximately 80 metres west of Aikman Drive.
- Footpath on Aikman Drive (southbound) between Emu Bank and Eastern Valley Way.
- Cooinda Street (in both directions) between College Street and Bimbimbie Street.
- Footpath on Joynton Smith Drive (eastern side) between Beissel Street and approximately 100 metres north towards Totterdell Street.
- Emu Bank (both directions): between Luxton Street and Benjamin Way.
April 2020: We've hit six months of construction on the bikeway!
Construction progress gallery
We'll update the below as construction progresses.