Fraser and Dunlop were identified as local shopping centres in need of improvements with funding provided in the 2019-20 ACT Budget to help revitalise and improve access in and around the centres while also encouraging people to shop locally.
The upgrades at the Fraser shops follows previous consultation with representatives to identify what was important for a future public space upgrade at this local centre.
Improvements that have been delivered at Fraser include:
- reconfigured and newly planted garden beds
- regrading of the verge between the entrance driveway and the bus stop to the east and grassing of the area
- six new trees planted
- plantings alongside the eastern path that runs between the shops and the units.
- accessibility improvements
- upgrading of the stairs, including installation of handrails and tactile indicators
- new paths and path upgrades
- new path along the regraded verge improving access to the bus stop and connectivity to existing paths, including pram ramps (on both sides of the entrance driveway)
- reconstructed path along the eastern side of the shops (where the stairs are)
- widening of the existing path along the car park from the shops to the residential units
- filling in missing links to create a direct path connection between the shops and Fraser Primary school (includes pram ramps on both sides of Tillyard Drive)
- repairs to a section of the existing path network immediately behind the shops.
Dunlop has also received some minor amenity improvements including a public noticeboard to help residents stay informed as well as new shade sails over the playground in the open space behind the shops to make it more family-friendly and attractive to use throughout the year.