The intersection of Southern Cross Drive and Starke Street in Holt will be signalised to improve safety. This intersection is the primary entrance/exit point for the Kippax Group Centre with more than 300 vehicles per hour in peak periods. The installation of traffic signals and associated widening of the road will reduce queue lengths and accidents experienced at this key intersection, including improving safety for pedestrians and cyclists.
This project is funded jointly by the ACT Government and the Australian Government as part of the Shovel Ready Infrastructure Investment Program.
- traffic lights to improve the safety of road users and establish a smooth flow of vehicles, reduce travel times and lower the risk of accidents
- widening of the eastbound carriageway of Southern Cross Drive at the intersection
- new concrete medians and linemarking
- installation of new signalised pedestrian crossings
- upgrading of footpaths and kerb ramps, linking the intersection to the surrounding path network
- 300 metres of new shared paths enhancing the area’s community path network
- landscaping, including grassing and shrubs.
Expected start date: early 2021
Expected completion date: mid 2021
September 2020: the construction tender for this project was released on 10 September 2020. Tenders have now closed and the evaluation process is underway.