In a life threatening emergency dial Triple Zero (000)

In a life threatening emergency dial Triple Zero (000)
ACT Public Hospitals

Canberra Hospital

5124 0000

Calvary Hospital

6201 6111

Mental Health

Call Mental Health Triage on

1800 629 354

(free call except from mobiles or public phones) or

6205 1065

Poisons Hotline

For a poison emergency in Australia call


Drug and Alcohol Help Line

The Drug and Alcohol Help Line is available 24-hours, 7 days a week on

5124 9977

Health Protection Service

For after hours urgent public health matters including environmental health, radiation safety, food poisoning and communicable disease management phone:

(02) 6205 1700


24 hour health advice

1800 022 222

ACT State Emergency Service

Emergency help
during flood or storms

132 500

Frequently asked questions about urban trees

Use Fix My Street or contact Access Canberra on 13 22 81 to:

  • request a new tree planting
  • request street or parkland tree pruning, tree assessments and removals
  • request the removal of a fallen tree or large branch on a nature strip or in a park
  • report footpath damage caused by tree roots
  • report line of sight issues caused by trees.

Use the following links to:

Do you have questions on the urban forest? TCCS has fact sheets that may be able to answer your questions:

Tree maintenance

How can I help the street and park trees near me?

Residents are encouraged to water street and parkland trees using non-potable water such as bath water. A bucket of water once a week during summer should guarantee the survival of young trees.

It is also important not to park on public land, as this can negatively impact tree health.

How can I tell if the tree in front of my house is on the nature strip?

A rough guideline is if the tree is between the water meter and the kerb of the street. More exact measurements can be obtained by contacting Access Canberra or using ACTMAPi.

Can I prune or remove my street tree?

No. Tree-related issues can be directed to Access Canberra on 13 22 81 or Fix My Street, leading to an inspection of the tree to decide what works are needed.

Residents must not remove public trees unless they have written approval to do so. At times City Services will provide formal approval to residents to remove trees that are not part of the formal plantings or undesirable tree species such as pines, poplars and willows.

How long will my request for tree maintenance take?

Tree maintenance issues on public land are usually assessed within two weeks and work is then programmed according to the priority. Urgent work will be carried out as soon as possible while minor maintenance work will be placed on longer term work programs.

What happens to the wood from trees that are removed?

TCCS' urban tree maintenance operations produce several thousand tonnes of log by-product each year. This wood is stockpiled and used for ecological restoration projects, nature play sites, and processed into mulch for use in the urban landscape.  TCCS is researching other avenues for sustainable re-use of timber from the urban forest.

This 'stored or 'stockpiled' wood and mulch is not available to the community and TCCS will take action if the community is seen removing this material illegally.

If I am in a newly developed suburb, who is responsible for my street tree?

In new suburbs there is a period of time where developers are responsible for tree care after which City Services takes on responsibility. ACTPLA or SLA should be able to inform you of who is responsible for the tree prior to its handover to City Services.

Tree planting

Will I get a replacement tree if the tree on my nature strip dies?

The site will be assessed at the time of inspection and a new tree will be replanted following removal, subject to site factors such as available space and surrounding infrastructure.

There are a number of trees outside my house and my neighbour has only one, why is that?

The number of trees on each nature strip differs depending on several factors including the size of the nature strip, the spacing of the trees, and underground and above-ground services.

Can I change the species of tree on my nature strip?

No. Where a street’s designated species is no longer suitable, City Services will replant with a similar, more suitable species to maintain the original landscape design.

In locations where City Services carries out a strategic street tree replacement program, a new species where required may be chosen in consultation with the community.

Nature strips

Who is responsible for the maintenance of nature strips?

The resident is responsible for maintaining the nature strip with the exception of street trees. Residents are encouraged to remove leaf litter and sticks and tend to any shrubs on the nature strip outside their home as a contribution to maintaining the neat appearance of their neighbourhood.

Property owners must prune branches from trees and shrubs that overhang from leased land onto the nature strip causing an obstruction.

Can I park on my nature strip?

No. Parking on nature strips and public open space areas is not permitted as it compacts the soil. Soil compaction prevents water infiltration and damages tree root systems, adversely impacting the health of established trees and the ability of new trees to develop.

Can I dig under the nature strip tree in front of my home?

Not without approval. Excavation under a tree's canopy may result in root damage and a subsequent decline in tree health. Strip trenching for the installation of irrigation systems or cabling can have serious effects on tree health and stability. You will need to complete a Nature strip development application.

Private property

What works am I allowed to do to trees on private land?

Most trees on leased land in the ACT are protected under the Tree Protection Act 2005 (the Act) as either Registered or Regulated Trees. Any work which may cause damage to these trees, such as tree removal, major pruning or groundwork nearby requires approval.

Information and application forms can be found at Trees on leased land and the ACT Tree Register.

What do I do if a public tree causes damage to my property?

City Services administers procedures for dealing with public claims relating to trees on public land. Information on the claims process can be found here.