Tree selection in new developments
The design of new streetscapes in the ACT must be in accordance with the Municipal Infrastructure Design Standards.
Plant species for urban landscape projects in the ACT can be found here: MIS 25 Plant Species for Urban Landscape Projects. The current street tree list contains 210 tree species including 77 new species. These species have been evaluated by Urban Treescapes and deemed suitable for use in specified areas and conditions.
This list details:
- Species separated into native and deciduous by height class, and conifers;
- The typical form and characteristics of each species;
- The site conditions preferred and tolerated by each species;
- Any site restrictions which apply;
- The typical mature height and width when grown in Canberra ;
- The available soil volume required to support healthy tree root growth and coexistence with other urban infrastructure;
- Flowering times;
- Any nectar, pollen or fruit production or contribution to wildlife foraging and habitat.
To provide extended information each tree species has an individual fact sheet on it: