The first government Nursery was established in about 1911 on three acres of sandy alluvial soil at Acton on the site of the National Museum, and the first trials to establish suitable species were planted there during 1912 and 1913.
Taken in 1920 outside the dispatch office
Thomas Weston, the first Superintendent, recommended that the Nursery move to Yarralumla, where work was started in 1914, with the first plant being produced in 1916. The production Nursery occupied more than 28 hectares (70 acres). Until the early 1970s some of this area was used for the Parks and Gardens research department and the Department of Health's plants quarantine. Another 130 hectares (330 acres) was to be used for various permanent plantings. This larger area became part of Westbourne Woods (now Royal Canberra Golf course) or Weston Park.
Taken in 2009 outside the dispatch office