Stormwater Easement Clearance
Approval is required for construction or modifications in the vicinity of stormwater easements. Applications must be lodged online. The online application process is also required for driveways and waste management assessments.
The design and construction adjacent to or within stormwater easements must comply with Transport Canberra and City Services (TCCS) Construction in the vicinity of stormwater easements (PDF 256KB). These documents are intended to ensure the safety and serviceability of stormwater easements.
For more information on applying for stormwater easement approvals, please view the Stormwater Easement Factsheet and Stormwater Advisory Note (PDF 365KB) | Word version (DOC 120KB).
Application forms for driveways, stormwater easements and waste assessments can be completed at the same time and lodged via the TCCS building application - statement of endorsement and/or compliance form.
Note: TCCS Development Review and Coordination (DRC) will approve and stamp the site plan which will be forwarded together with letter of approval by email to the applicant.
When submitting the Stormwater Easement Clearance Application you must attach the site plan.
The minimum requirements on the site pan are as follows:
- property boundary including dimensions
- easement, its width and type of service
- all existing and proposed structures and trees within the property
- details of the proposed structure (dimensions of the structure including the foundation, type of material etc.) in the vicinity of the easement and the shortest clearance distance to the easement
- weight distribution diagram, if the clearance of the foundation of the proposed structure is less than a metre from the closest edge of the easement and sits above the invert of the pipe
- names of all the roads adjacent to the property.
For more information on what needs to be included in the plans, please view the sample site plan (PDF 1.1MB).
Categories of stormwater easement approvals
There are four categories of stormwater easement approvals:
- exempt track (approval through TCCS)
- code track (approval through TCCS)
- merit track (approval through Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate - EPSDD)
- impact assessment track (approval through EPSDD).
For more information about these categories visit Which track will my DA be in? and Exemption from development approval.
A TCCS application is required if you are constructing in the vicinity of a stormwater easement under the 'exempt track' or 'code track' categories. You must obtain approval from DRC via TCCS.DRC@act.gov.au or 13 22 81.
A TCCS application is not required if you are constructing in the vicinity of a stormwater easement under the 'merit track' and 'impact assessment track' categories. Please lodge your development application to EPSDD.