Littering of any kind is illegal under the Litter Act 2004.
The City Rangers deal with the following littering offences:
- depositing of litter in or on a public place;
- depositing of litter that is likely to cause an injury to persons or damage to property in or on a public place;
- transporting refuse or waste and failing to arrange, contain, fasten or cover it so as to prevent any part of the load from falling or being blown from the vehicle;
- depositing of commercial and garden waste in or on a public place;
- occupier of commercial premises failing to take reasonable steps to prevent litter from the premises being deposited in or on a public place;
- depositing or abandoning a dangerous container in a public place or public tip; and
- placing advertising leaflets in or on a motor vehicle in a public place.
The ACT Government has stepped up enforcement, which may lead to the following penalties. Some penalties are up to $1,000 for individuals and $5,000 for businesses.
Section 8 - Littering:
- 8(1) Deposit litter in a public place (small item) infringement penalty $60; deposit any other litter, infringement penalty $200;
- 8(2) Litter that escapes or likely to escape into public place, infringement penalty $200;
- 8(3) Deposit litter in receptacle in public place and not of size, shape nature or volume for receptacle, infringement penalty $200.
Section 10 - Commercial waste:
- 10(1) Deposit commercial waste in a public place, infringement penalty $500;
- 10(2) Occupier of commercial, industrial or business premises fails to prevent litter being deposited at a public place, infringement penalty $1,000.
Section 11 – Vehicle loads
Section 12 – Depositing or abandoning dangerous containers
Section 13 – Placing advertising leaflets on motor vehicles etc
- 13(1) Place unsolicited leaflet in or on a motor vehicle in a public place, infringement penalty $100;
- 13(3) Distribute, commission, authorise or arrange for distribution of unsolicited leaflet for placement in or on motor vehicle in a public place, infringement penalty $100.
Littering cigarette butts could lead to a $60 on the spot fine.
Changes to Shopping Trolley Legislation (Litter Act 2004)
Call Access Canberra on 13 22 81 or complete the Incident Report Form (Word 102 KB) / Incident Report Form (PDF 184KB) and return to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to City Rangers, GPO Box 158, Canberra ACT 2601.