Canberra has two resource management centres where ACT residents can dispose of items that don't belong in household wheelie bins. For advice on the best way to recycle or dispose of specific items search our Recyclopaedia!
Locations and opening hours
Mitchell Resource Management Centre - Flemington Rd, Mitchell ACT 2911
Hume Resource Management Centre - Mugga Ln, Symonston ACT 2609
Both locations open: 7.30 am - 5 pm, seven days per week. Closed Good Friday and Christmas Day.
Resource Management Centres are places for ACT residents to dispose of items that don’t belong in household wheelie bins.
What can I drop off?
The following items can be dropped off at the resource management centres:
- Reusable items can be dropped off for free (and purchased for bargain prices!) at The Green Shed. Conditions apply.
- Green waste can be dropped off for free to Corkhill Brothers. Conditions apply.
- Household recycling including paper, cardboard, glass, aluminium, steel and firm plastic packaging can be recycled for free.
- Mattresses can be dropped off for a fee (SYMONSTON only). Save money and drop your mattresses at Soft Landing in Hume!
- e-Waste can be dropped off for free near the transfer station, follow the signs on site. Conditions apply, visit the hazardous waste page for details.
- Hazardous waste can be dropped off for free, limits apply. Visit the hazardous waste page to find out what is accepted.
- General waste that cannot be reused or recycled can be dropped off at the transfer station, follow the signs on site. Fees apply. This includes construction and demolition materials, and oversize objects.
- Waste to landfill - as a last resort general waste that cannot be reused or recycled can be dropped off at the Resource Management Centre, fees apply.